Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Grasshoppers and the Toad


It is grasshopper season. I was reading in bed the other night and Hugh came in to talk to me; while he was standing between the bed and the door, there was a sudden "thunk" and a giant grasshopper landed on the glass beyond his head. Not the greatest photo ever, but I like it because you can see Hugh's face through the glass. I have trouble with that macro lens—it tends to zoom in on, say, the grasshopper's knee (closest point) and leave the rest of it unfocused, when I want the entire object to be clear. Maybe I am trying to get closer than the lens is capable of; I don't know. I'm working on resolving this, as I'm frequently bothered by it.

The little toad was hanging out below the grasshopper. Toads and frogs are in abundance this year because of all the rain.

I found this grasshopper in the meadow yesterday when I went out dragonfly-hunting. Hugh and I have been admiring his herringbone legs. The grasshoppers are sly, and they watch you; it took me several minutes to get photos because as I moved around, it kept moving around to the opposite side of the plant out of view.

No comments: