Thursday, August 09, 2007

Aaagghhh! Aaagghhh! Aaagghhh!

Or, The Secret Scorpion: Painting is a Dangerous Activity

The Scene: In the WC on the toilet paper holder
The Time: Around 8 p.m. Thursday August 9th

Last weekend, inspired by a painting sibling and a floor-laying co-worker, I decided it was time to paint the little toilet room within our bathroom, which for the past 3 years has been three-quarters painted with primer and one-quarter just not painted at all. It is a small room so was quickly finished, but the tape had to be left up for 24 hours afterwards. And the tape couldn't be just pulled off; it needed to be run through with a knife at the edges to make sure that removing the tape did not remove paint as well. So, because I am me, I did not get around to this last step till yesterday evening.

I decided to start with the toilet paper holder. So there I was, sitting on the toilet lid with an Exacto knife in my hand carefully cutting and peeling back the tape, when suddenly

there he was! It is true, I really did yell, the scorpion being about 4 inches from my face; but I quickly realized he was stuck fast, and in fact I had worsened it by accidentally folding some tape over his tail. I got some tweezers and got to work. First I unwrapped the tape from his tail—

and then I was able, by tweezing, to maneuver him off the tape and into the Catch & Release container that I had at the ready:

Later on we took the dogs for a walk and freed the scorpion at the bottom of the hill.


The Tools of My Trade

The event entitled Thank God for Dropcloths won't be gone into at this time.

No comments: