Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bug Love

Or, The Insect Orgy

In this first photo, note how the insects are tenderly touching back legs (which have a curious, wide, winglike feature, spotlighted in another photo below), sort of as though they're holding hands.

Saturday evening I was on the patio, drinking a glass of wine, alternately reading and walking around with the camera, just hanging out with Special L, when I noticed the sumac berries at the edge of the patio with the evening sun upon them. I wandered closer and noticed an insect on the plant. Then I noticed that there were lots and lots of that insect on the plant! Then I realized that all of the insects were mating! It was crazy! A whole section of the sumac, which is in between being a bush and a tree, was just covered with this insect orgy.

I was reminded of the scene in The Wicker Man when, on his first day on Summerisle, Sergeant Howie goes outside for a walk before bedtime and discovers the green full of couples making love, and then there is an odd zoom-in on two snails fondling each other with their little horns (antennae?) while Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle recites a monologue about something or other and the fact that I can't remember what it's about is a sign that it's time for a Wicker Man fix and maybe I better go watch it right now...

...but first I'll go visit whatsthatbug.com and see what I can find out about these guys!

And, later, the answer is that I have not found them on the site, nor have I identified them otherwise. But I have now submitted a photo of them to whatsthatbug.com, so we'll see if I am lucky enough to have an answer from those oh-so-busy bug people!

No comments: