Monday, June 25, 2007

The Twenty-ninth (29th) Day


It is Monday, and four weeks exactly from the evening that I first heard the babies, who are STILL NOT fledged, gosh darn it. However, it has been so fun to watch them this weekend, even though I am dying for want of seeing them come out; I spent a huge amount of time outside poised in front of the camera with a book or two to while away the time that was not spent glued to the viewfinder. Perhaps tomorrow I will write the brief dissertation I find myself too tired to write tonight, in which I detail the details re what kind of food, and when the parents bring it, and what the tiny heads do, exactly, when they appear, and all that. I had planned on it tonight, but laundry and chard pie and hummingbird/oriole food and feeders and cleaning thereof, and then some more laundry, and then dinner, and god knows what all else got in my way. And I never did get to the mail, which I think has built up for two solid weeks now. Sigh. A person's work is never done. Why am I so dang tired? Am I ill?

So, having observed so frequently the woodpecker parents' Bend and Snap down into the nest with food, I've decided that it is to them that we owe, much more so than penguins, the origin of the men's formal suit with tails, as illustrated in the photo that accompanies this post.

No comments: