Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Baby Wrens Emerge! Part I


Binoculars in hand, Hugh excitedly dragged me out of bed this morning because he thought the woodlets were coming out; he'd seen a small, dark head poking out of the hole. I staggered up, grabbed a cup of coffee (with Hugh saying YOU BETTER HURRY all the while), went out the back door with the camera, and made my way in stealth mode over to my "blind" (a patch of scrawny oak seedlings) by the tree. Woodie flew in from the left after I sat down, thereby negating my caution, since from the left I was in full view. Seeing me put him on High Alert, with the loud krrrrrrrr! krrrrrrrr! krrrrrrrr! to go with it. So I sat and waited, and nothing happened. Finally Woodie came over with a little food, but there were no woodlets to be seen (though I heard 'em, of course). After ten minutes or so I gave it up and went back in for more coffee.

No comments: