Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday Morning Miscellany



From my desk here at home I can see the hummingbird and oriole feeders, the wrens coming and going further down the porch where their skull is, and the Woods' tree off to the right, close enough to see the nest hole and their attendance thereat. Outside the window at left is the oak tree where the titmice frequently nest and where the scrub jays hang; of late, it's also a favorite spot of the bobwhite, who's out there even as I type. The hummingbirds have a party going on this morning; they're going crazy around the feeders while Mr Scott's cleaning and fluffing in the cedar tree directly in front of me (it was a wet and probably chilly night). Hugh is angry at the mourning doves which are constantly at the birdfeeders. They are there so often and in such numbers that we've started chasing them off when we see them so the other, littler birds can have their turns. We have a couple of squirrels who visit regularly, too, but I'm convinced that the doves are the reason we now have to fill the feeders every other day.

Last night I discovered who's been breaking into the sunflower seed container outside our bedroom door. Before bed I'd brought the seed inside; around midnight I heard snuffling and small steps and looked up to see a little masked raccoon face. This morning the black-crested titmouse above was finishing up the last of the seeds from Friday night's raid. The juvenile below was by the feeder. I love how they sit with their little feet together to hold the seeds while they eat. I am curious about the black mark on this guy's left cheek. His right doesn't have one, nor do the other titmice; my guess is that it's temporary and will go away as he grows up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The long legs are so cute! It looks like a feathery imp. It just looks like it's up to mischief.

Kaila said...

I agree! The titmice always have a certain look in their eye!