Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Storm and the Strange Tracks

Sunday night there was a wild and terrible storm with high winds and much lightning very close by. It was so intense that I got the cat carriers out of the closet and put them near the door at the ready, just in case evacuation was called for. I learned later from our neighbor on the other side of the hill that a "tornado vortex floated right over us". Neighbors a few miles down HPR lost part of their roof, I hear! I was worried about the woodlets but reminded myself how much it has rained, and how hard, this spring, and of course in the bright and beautiful morning after, everything was just as it should be with the Woodses (and we hope with all the other nature babies out there, as well).

This evening when I walked the dogs down the hill, there was water coursing through our sometime-stream, and on the still-damp road at the foot of the hill I found these curious tracks. What made these?? They are quite small--the channels are probably just 1/8" or so wide, maybe some a bit bigger. (I had nothing with me to put down for perspective.)




Update: here's a key in photo for scale.

1 comment:

hughw said...

Dung beetles?