Saturday, June 02, 2007

Not to Ignore the Other Birds of 2007!

We obsess over our prehistoric woodpeckers, but we obsess over all of our other birds, too. This year's group, so far:
  • One pair of Titmice nested in the hole in the oak tree just outside the window by my desk, where a pair nested the year before last. The baby is out and about now, and there is at least one other family in the 'hood; the other day I heard, then saw, a little gathering of them out near the birdfeeders; there must have been six or seven of them.
  • Two little gray-headed scrappy Mexican Scrub Jay babies so far, as well as the usual group of adults.
  • Approximately two dozen or so hummingbirds. We have a couple of different kinds--I am not positive which ones they are.
  • Wrens: I have yet to figure out what kind they are--we have several, and these are the smallest of the group. One is nesting in the skull hanging on the front porch; another out back in the roof where there is a little gap at the bend. Yet another keeps considering the little bag hanging beneath my bicycle seat and putting nesting bits in it, but no permanent residence yet.
  • The Scott's Orioles are back this year! At least one pair is at our house, and I hear them all over the valley as well.
  • We have three pairs of Cardinals that come to our feeder. I can never figure out where they nest, but one pair is perhaps out in back somewhere, and another in the tree in the meadow, I think.
  • There are so many Zenaida doves that they are eating us out of house and home. I bang on the window frequently to make them leave the bird feeders to give the other birds a chance.
  • Tons of chipping sparrows
  • The Rufous-crowned Sparrows (alternately called the Asteroid birds), previously discussed in the tragic-yet-happy-ending baby bird post
  • Tons of house finches, and at least one other kind of finch. They are hard for me to identify, as they change their outfits through the seasons.
  • The mockingbirds, of course, though they've been in rather spotty attendance this year. After one wintering with us and tapping many times daily on a living room window (with me trying to teach its name when it did so--we don't know if Mocks knows who he/she is now, or not), they've been coming and going.
  • The "weebly-wee bird" that we hear at night--some kind of quail-type bird? I've never seen it.
  • Another bird heard and not seen was a bobwhite! Just once, only this year and never before. Finally I have heard their call!
  • And lastly--for now; I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting right now--the little chickadees with their 3-note songs.

No comments: