Friday, June 22, 2007

The Old Audubon's Orioles Nest


This morning Mrs. Scott was hopping around, and even got in, the old nest in the wisteria on the front porch that the Audubon's Orioles built but never nested in two or three years ago. I wonder what she was thinking. Are she and the Mr. considering using it, or was she just seeing how the other orioles live?

I learned a little bit about these nests at the time; if I remember correctly, they are semi-pendulous, meaning that they mostly hang rather than be supported. Last winter when the wisteria was bare, one day I thought I'd get out there and take the nest down to preserve it, as it's so beautifully made and intricate, and because neither the original builders nor anyone else has ever used it. However, I found it so woven into the wisteria that I would have had to cut a lot of the plant and the nest itself to get it down, so I just left it. It's nice to look at where it is, anyway.

No comments: