Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Baby Wrens Emerge! Part II


So "The Baby Wrens Emerge! Part I" explains why I was up earlier than I might have chosen and sitting at my desk when Hugh, who had still been keeping an eye on the Woods' tree from the front room, suddenly cried out,"There is a baby wren ONE FOOT FROM MY FACE!" There was also a loud whacking noise which turned out to be Hamilton throwing himself against the window which is next to the nesting skull. You could practically see blood dripping from his jaws and his pink brains whirling at the thought of fat little babies.

Needless to say, I grabbed the camera (how many times have I typed those words?) and went outside. The wrens are so shy; I was worried that my presence would frighten them, so I hunkered down behind the mountain laurel at the skull-end of the porch and started snapping. The photo above is not the best of the photos, but is of the first baby to emerge. More to come!

And, hey, Happy Birthday to Hank! How special to have a nest of baby birds fly into the world on your birthday!

No comments: