Saturday, July 28, 2007

Up the Track, Out of the Village, and Into the Fields


If you go out of Aunt D's house and head up the road to the left, you are out of the village and at this sign in two minutes. Take the bridleway here and a track winds up and around the fields, eventually leading back to the village past the back of the manor house. There are two routes, actually, short and long; the long way is a good 45 minutes to an hour and a half, depending on whether you proceed at a good rate or dawdle on the way to take photographs of, say, a peacock butterfly that is suddenly just sitting on the ground in the middle of the track in front of you.

On my first walk around the fields, I was cameraless, so the first peacock butterfly and the bevy of quail babies went unphotographed, as did all the rabbits and birds. It's hard to take wildlife photos on the track anyway, as it is bounded on both sides by high hedges for much of the route. The hedges are full of mysterious rustlings and secrets. I never did figure out what the thing was of which I saw just the tail.

The geese are in a yard near the end of the short track.

The tree is in the pasture where I was chased by cows one evening when I was coming home from the secret cell phone tree. They did not catch me. Later, Aunt D taught me how to fend them off. You raise your arms high (or shake your cane if you have one) and cry, "STOP!" I wish I had her on film showing me this.

No comments: