Monday, July 23, 2007

On the Way to the English Cabin (The Cottage? Except It's Not Really a Cottage, It's a Late Victorian House, but Oh Well): A Day in London


I've been to England and back! I am glad to be home: as much as I love England, my aunt, her village, I missed my home, my bed, my husband, my animals (not necessarily in that order). I am still pretty jet-lagged...but there is all the time in the world to recover.

The photo above is the first I took in England; it's from the bridge above Barnes railway station in London. I arrived at Gatwick at 8 a.m. and rode the train here, where my friends M & J and little Rose came to collect me. A handsome & kind young man carried my (very heavy) suitcase up the railway stairs for me, despite my protests; "Nonsense!" he said, "It won't take a moment!" and it didn't.

After ditching my stuff At the London Cabin and pouring some refreshing and reviving hot tea into me, we drove through Richmond Park (below) on the way to a garden center and lunch. The day was fantastic, as you can see—I don't think it rained all day, and it was perhaps the only day during my visit that was entirely dry.

No comments: