Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Woodlet Head Appears...and Then is Gone??


This morning I saw the head of a woodlet for the first time this year! There it is, peeking out from the hole....or craning, rather. Mum is up above, having just fed the young ones (see the photos at bottom, and doesn't that look suspiciously like birdseed?). All of these photos were taken around 8:45 a.m., before I left for work this morning.


I was terribly excited; I checked last year's posts and learned that it was four days from first woodlet head sighting until the woodlets fledged. This weekend, I thought, this weekend it will happen! We will see them leave the tree!


By the time I got home it was rather late in the evening, but not too late for evening feedings, and when I walked onto the front porch I saw a little head sticking out from the hole in the tree, all right. But after getting closer, causing the head to withdraw, and waiting waiting waiting for it to appear again, it turned out to be...Woodie. Dad was in the hole, and I realized I couldn't hear the woodlets anymore, which means they must have fledged today.



A THOUSAND CURSES!


Will I never see them fledge, ever ever ever?


I also accidentally deleted the closeup photo of Woodie in the tree. A sad day for me, but a good day for woodlets, and all the better that Hamilton the Giant by happenstance was in the house today. And there's always the possibility that I am wrong, and the little ones are still in there....but I will not bet the cabin on it.

No comments: