Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Gorey Beetle, 2008


The first ironclad beetle of 2008! Unofficially known in these parts as the Gorey beetle, and also as My Very Special Spotted Bug. I recognized him this morning even though I was inside looking at his underneath as he crawled across the kitchen window screen. Possibly my very favorite bug ever, if it's possible that I can pick just one out of the millions.


To see the 2007 Gorey beetle, click here.

For two 2006 Gorey beetles and one 2005 Gorey beetle, click here.

It's so easy to think that they are all exactly the same until you really look at each one. I had a similar reaction to my toad photos earlier; I would have said that I know what a toad looks like, but I hadn't really ever noticed some things before, such as those ridges around the eyes and the extremely bumpy skin on its legs and how very gorgeous its eyes are, and how its inner eyelid (or the outer part of its eye?) is sort of green. Who knew?

No comments: