Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Tiny Toad and the Giant Slugs


Saturday was a day of adventure in the garden. I spent most of the day outside raking and sweeping and cleaning up and kept encountering interesting things, like the tiny toad and the giant slugs I found underneath a potted plant. I don't know how that toad even fit underneath the pot, but there he was, and beside him, the two biggest slugs I have ever seen in my life (shudder—now there's a horror movie subject for you, but I bet it's already been done).

3 comments:

Miz Jen said...

This is my guess: http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/frogs/bufo.valliceps.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufo_valliceps

For what it's worth, frogs/toads (all toads are frogs; not all frogs are toads) are my latest favorite thing. Better than pigs, even.

Kaila said...

We've had many, many of them this year. Later I will photograph the Toad Hole for you! I found a toad, possibly this same guy, coming out of it later the same day. It is charming, and probably decorated inside.

Miz Jen said...

Incidentally, you should send this photo to some of the frog/toad sites. It is far superior to what I normally see there!