Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Return of the Polyphemous Moth?!


Great googley moogley! Here I was just blogging away when suddenly a giant Something flew by the window. Flitted by, that is. I couldn't tell if it was a giant moth or a bat, not even when I first got the flashlight on it as it sat on this tree. It is sort of tree-colored, as you can see, and blended right in. But soon thereafter I was able to see that it was indeed a moth. IS a moth; it's still out there. If you click on the photo to enlarge, you can just see an eye-spot on the right-hand wing—that is, the top side of the wing that is shown on the left in this photo, which is the moth's right wing. Could it be another polyphemous moth?? I'm sure there are other giant moths in the area, but the only one I've seen with my own eyes is the one that flew into our bedroom in March 2006:

I was able to find these pre-blog photos immediately because it was Miz Jen who identified the moth, and she was in India when she did so, and she was there from March through May of '06.

In addition to being pre-blog, these photos are also pre-Nikon digital SLR and zoom lens. I was standing on the bed in the middle of the night with my arms stretched above my head holding the little Kodak EasyShare CX789823472938 (or whatever), unable to look through the viewfinder because the moth was on the side of a beam (not the ceiling) 2 feet above my head, about 10 feet above the floor. I took at least a hundred photos to make sure that at least one came out! It so happened that I also had a tape measure right at hand. Hugh slept through the whole thing.

No comments: