Friday, May 26, 2006

Ants in the Oak Tree

I did not know that ants can, and do, live in trees. I decided to move the compost heap today so we can put a picnic table (instead of compost) under the nice oak tree in the meadow. I also wanted to get all the parasitic mistletoe out of the nice oak. While up on the stepladder, I put my hand on a little stubby dead bit for balance and approximately 10,000 red-and-black ants came streaming out of it! I had already noticed some strange growths or attachments on some of the branches, about the size and shape of plums and seemingly made of wood; when I cut one open, it, too, was full of ants. Very weird. Lastly, at the base of the tree, there is a stump of what was once a third main trunk, with a hole in it. I was curious. I got a stick. I put the stick in the hole. Out came another 10,000 ants!
I am alarmed and intrigued. Are the ants there because the tree has those dead bits, or are the dead bits dead because the ants are there? Inquiring minds want to know....

No comments: