Monday, October 13, 2008

What IS This Thing? I Mean, Really, WHAT IS THIS THING?


I found this thing crawling in the bedroom. It is tiny! Perhaps half the size of my littlest fingernail! In its entirety, the thing seems to be an insect that has created a little carapace of other dead insects, such as ants. Above is the top view. Is the whitish thing an egg? There are little legs underneath, upon which it is crawling, and in person I imagine that I can see an incredibly small head with antennae.


This is a side view of sorts, or at least as close as I could get to a side view. I believe that we see here its own legs and perhaps even its own pincers. Not sure about the latter; it could be something else's pincers that this creature is wearing. Why do I not have a magnifying glass???

10:29 p.m. update: The lightning-quick bug genius at What's That Bug has answered my questions yet again. Hit the link to see "Debris-Carrying Green Lacewing Larva." That's my bug!

No comments: